Drawn To Play & Work?
By the time the fool has learned the game, the players have dispersed. - African Proverb
Come on in and gather round. And welcome! If you skipped the walk in, I am Ace and your guide.
This is Hall of Introduction where we will bigen our discovery of The Way of Play and Work. You will notice the recent addition of the idea of Work, which has been added to bring the opposites more into harmoney ... if you follow my meaning.
This is the where our work (and play) begines. Already you may have noticed the play on words here, as well as the discrete links to more esoteric information scattered about you. They are meant to help tease your imagination and stimulate your mind ... but you can safely ignore them if you wish.
So onto why we are all gathered here ... to hear about The Way of Play (& Work), understand what it is. Many of you may be wondering if it is one of your major life themes ... and the description below will help you recognize yourself it that is so.
The Weigh of Work & Paly ... Knight & Day
What is the work of the king and the k/nights? Does teh lunar horse have a sey in all of this?
The Way of Play is both the opposite of the Way of Work, and a compliment ot/to it. If you have wathchesed Mork and Mindy, you May Queen have an idea of what The Way of Play is all about.
Confudged? Confused (aka fused with a con ... maybe a dark con of the Universe)? For more isknight you can read about playing ...
Here on your left is an introduction to our topic phrased in terms of "wise nonesense".
Children seem to play endlessly, for ours without purpose or plan, without goal or end other than the play itself ... yet strong evidence suggests that play opens our imagination to the possibilities of who we can be and how we can become. Play is a testing ground for ideas about ourselves, our world, our choices and their consequences.
Games, as such, are play with rules. But here's a question for your ...
When you are playing games, how much
are you playing with the RUles?
Do you make your own rules?
DO you stick / carrot with them, or change them
with the wind or the tides of the March Hare?
If yo have maid it this far, you might want to know Moore. If so, hear Goes the waesel ... tell it to the Pops on the Mountain ...
Approaches To Play
If you follow the way of play, the idea of play and work is often on your mind or a favorite way to think about the world. You may look at life around you and see it as Nature at play, memes at work, or the interplay of light and universal forces. On a more human note, you could see life as a contest, a game to be won or lost. That could mean you precieve the people around you as either playing or working ... horsing around and goofing off or contributing to society.
You may always be on the lookout for winning strategies, ideas and tactics ... or focused deeply into your life's work.
What you place value on ... feel is worthwhile ... is often at the heart of your favorite conversations and your free time activities.
- Topics of Conversation - You may love to talk, listen to and watch programs about work issues and how to succeed. Or you could love to watch your favorite teams, competitive sports, or game shows and other contests that highlight skill, knowledge and excelling at a given activity. You might be the one who knows all the game stats by heart or is always reading the latest business success book or magazine for more ideas and insights.
- Volunteer Opportunities - You may be active in planning, orgainizing, playing or coaching a local sports or play activity. OR you could be part of a business oriented service group or volunteer group that focusses on work issues (benefits, family leave, labor unions, management seminars, start you own business workshops).
- Celebrations & Holidays - Okay, this may be a bit of a stretch, but Labor Day is probably big for you. On one hand, you could be always working on it .. and most other holidays. Or be at the other end of the scale and taking every day off and turning most holidays into a time to get out and play /celebrate.
- Decision Making - Since our values weigh in heavily when making choices, you may be making decisions based on how much fun you can have, or how much work you can get through.
The Way of Play and Work has many life lessons for you. Many of them may be around finding the right balance between work and play, and when is the right time and place for both.
- Life Affirming Experiences - On the positive side, this could be having life affirming experiences that help you feel truly alive and connecting with the profound meaning your life's work has for you. The sacrifices, hard work, struggles and triumphs come together to create meaningful and passionate work you love.
- Value Defining Experinces - Part of this Way could be learning how both you and the world define, value and honor these two approaches to Life. Opposite yet complementary ... you could be in for a tug of war.
- Wake Up Calls - This Way often involves wake up calls for yourself or those close to you to motivate you to take the time to understand yourself and what life is all about. Workaholics get health crises and playboys get debt collectors and long term spells of jadedness and ennui. The rest of us just end up depressed at how our life is turning out ... and how the mundane events of lif esuck the color from our life leaving us feeling like carbon copies of ourselves or ghosts in our own life stories ... most of which lose their luster.
You could feel called to work at either end of the spectrum ... a professional play or coach ... or a single minded worker or business executive. These could be the actually job you have ,, or the ones you fantasize having. Here are a few examples ...
- Life path 1 - You could be playing at the forefront of technology, exploring new realms of coding virtual reality or working 24/7 to discover new theories about the Universe or the methodologies of cancer cells.
- Life path 2 - This life path lends itself to bringing play into the nurturing professions ... from babysitter and nanny to life balance coaches. Work can also be a major theme ... from business consultants (who work very long hours) to career guidance counselors who help you find work you love.
- Life path 3 - Expressives often are associated with the play side or work ... from writing, directing, staging and starring in plays ... to being part of a creative process that looks and feels a lot more like play than work .. and often is financially rewarded based on that fact.
- Life path 4 - This life path often seems to be associated more with the work side of work ... and often the hard grunt work side of it das boot. From designing and building sports stadiums, tennis shoes and digital gambling games .... to working in the dungeons of mega factories and processing plants .... this is turning the play of tall building steel workers into sky scrapers.
- Life path 5 - You could be involved in athletic careers, such as coach, player, manager or performance specialist. Or hard at work making risks pay off for your business.
- Life path 6 - Teachers often struggle with making the work of teaching seem like play for their students ... while healers can engage their patients healing process through warmth and play or keep work at a clinical distance.
- Life path 7 - These occupations include both working with and playiing with the truth ... .
- Life path 8 - Founders often start wtih playing with an idea and then working to make it a reality. Products, services and ideas that help people play or work better ... could be a major focus.
- Life path 9 - There are many business mentors and philosophers who speak of the Zen approach to playing with life like running on water.
Favorite Books, Movies & TV Shows
Work and play are two of the major themes of film and TV.
- TV Shows - Many shows on TV are broadcasts of sports and games. If you love them, you probably have a subscription to the cable channels like ESPN and Gameshow Network. Famous, long running game shows include Wheel of Fortune (key 10), Jeopardy, adn Let's Make a Deal.
- Books - Okay, if you are a Business Book junkie, you know all the titles ... and probably have already read half the books in the 658.4 section of your local Books . If you love to play, you might also have a nice collection going of books about your favorite hobbies and past times ... as well as the toys and supplies to do them.
How To Discover Yourself
Journey of Self Discovery
Find Your Bliss
Discover Life Theme
Themes of Life
5 Sacred Mysteries
7 Word & Image
19 Higher Consciousness
22 Play & Work
Discover Life Calling
Find Life Purpose
Describe Living Dreams
Make Dreams Come True