Dealing With The Emotional Impact of Self Discovery?
The words floated over the threshold ... "Nice to see you made it.
if it was Aunt Nan's teeth it would have bite you.
Self discovery work can be an emotional process. Good questions can spark insights as well as stir up long forgotten memories. So we provide a few helpful tips to help you deal with the feelings that arise during the process.
Dealing With Mixed Emotions
First, it is okay if you have a mix of positive as well as negative emotions. You might feel happy or elated as you recall fond memories, re-connect with what you love, and come to appreciate how gifted and talented you really are. However, you could also feel frustrated or angry as you look at how your past choices may not have been in your long term interests, re-connect with past mistakes, or appreciate how much your life has been impacted by not having the self knowledge you have just gained.
Dealing With Strong Feelings
Strong emotions are signals that you are dealing with important issues. Usually the stronger the feelings, the more significant they are. If you start to get caught up in the emotions, here are a few simple things you can do ...
- See these strong feelings as a positive sign that you are working on important issues for your life.
- Acknowledge everything you are feeling so that the energy in the emotion has a chance to be expressed and dissipated.
- Take the time to move beyond feeling the emotion to understand what your feelings are trying to tell you. Often the emotion is a means to make sure you feel the consequences and change your future behavior so that the same event does not happen again.
- See if you can harness the raw energy they bring and use it to motivate yourself and gain momentum for improving your life.
- Talk with friends, a career counselor, or join a community message board that deals with career issues if you feel like you need some moral support.
Emotional Impact .... ... ???